Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Beetle Got Adopted!!!

Finally, something really happy to share with anyone reading this.  Beetle, the adult pit bull terrier mix that was a 'long-timer' at the shelter is finally going home.  I’d begun to think I was the only human still connected to this big energetic boy, as several other volunteers were getting too exhausted walking him. 

Beetle and I worked out a deal, wearing a red harness that is so beautiful against his dark brindle coloring, he pulled me up the hill at a running clip and I brought biscuits for the rare moment he stopped to sniff, eliminate, and receive a well-deserved ‘Good Outside, Beetle’ from me.

Running for 20 minutes solid, then playing in the field at the top of the hill became my daily ‘thing’ with this great guy.  I found out how much he likes to jump and chase, and how wide his pitty-bull mouth smiles when I straddled him between my legs and rubbed his neck and talked to him like the baby he is at heart and told him he was good, he was sweet, and he was worth loving.

In the field, he gladly ran in circles as I pulled anything in front of him to chase.  He is just so happy to be alive – you feel the vibe within minutes in his presence.

Shockingly, in the tub while I bathed him, he was so obliging I have to believe he’s had many baths before and knew the routine.  Not only did he stand, sit, and take the bath with patience, he gave me his first kiss at the end.  I was as proud as any temporary mother could be.

The couple who is becoming Beetle’s parents seem nice enough.  She is pretty, young, and has a sweet voice.  He'll love her baby-talk to him.  He seems strong enough to give Beetle the appropriate love and discipline he’ll need.  His tattooed arms and close haircut struck me as ‘tough guy’ until I heard the boyish enthusiasm in his voice when he yelled at me ‘We’re getting that dog.’

I don’t know if that guy knew his words would make me tear up.  I’m so happy for Beetle, and at the same time I’m going to miss him so much.  But isn’t that how things should be?  I’m in the shelter, the place dogs shouldn’t be for as long as this kid was, and now he’s going to a forever home.  When I talked to Sharon, another volunteer, and told her the good news, she said ‘I know, isn’t he great?!’  And then I realized, Beetle has meant a lot of things to many people, not just me, and the world is a luckier place with him in it.

Good luck Beetle – forever in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment