Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Open Letter to Volunteers- Perseverance

Today the euthanasia list for this week came out; 34 dogs most the volunteers know will be humanely put down Wednesday at 5:00 CST due to time and space limitations.  This means 34 dogs we have walked, gotten to know the character of, and shown love to will no longer exist the next day simply because the shelter has no more room for them and they've been there long enough now a decision has been made to make room for more dogs coming in each day.

I know 34 sounds like a lot (it is), but there are over a 100 dogs at the shelter now, and we simply cannot sustain support for that many animals.  Our building is far beyond it's life expectancy, and literally, we don't have enough kennels let alone staff to care for this many.  At some point, the quality of life for a dog that has been at a shelter for over 30, 40, and 50 days has to be a consideration.  If you saw the shelter, you'd understand.  You wouldn't like it, but you'd understand.

One of the dogs, Peaches, was likely mis-labeled as a Pit Bull and just missed being adopted because the family lives in a city with an ordinance against the breed.  After the family selected another dog and left, at least two of the staff determined she is really a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  That paper work error, will likely cost this dog her life.  One other, Tabitha, has a cherry-eye, and is often overlooked by potential adopters because they don't know what it is and haven't stopped to ask us or we could tell them it's easily remedied and she would make a wonderful pet.  And each of these 34 dogs has a story, has traits and ways about them which the volunteers could tell you if you were interested in hearing.  So here's my letter to some of the core volunteers, who share my sadness as I write, and have to find a way to face tomorrow working against a clock, and then Thursday to return to walk the dogs that remain.

I post it here so others know what it's like so they will decide to adopt a dog rather than shop for one, and when they refuse to support a shelter that euthanizes for time and space limitations, realize that's not changing the equation it's only ensuring a new list is published each week.  If you choose to go to a 'no kill shelter' I'm glad you're still adopting -- grateful even -- but they can't be 'no kill' without a network of other organizations that enable their position.  The dogs still exist, even if they aren't in the best facility.  Pet overpopulation IS an epidemic in this country.


Ladies,

I know this is already a hard and long week, but I want to let you all know how much you mean to me, and I haven't even met you all in person - we've emailed like fiends!  It's amazing the work we've been doing, and work we will get done.  We won't save all of them, but we will save as many as we can.  I know we are looking for a 'success story' to share with others, and right now all I have to offer is one thing which keeps me going each and every day; Buddy's brooms.

Ever since volunteering there, I could easily see basic necessities were needed; bleach, spray bottles, paper towels, peroxide, alcohol, etc.  It was shocking to me the day I asked Jeremy where more paper towels were and he pointed to a roll in a plastic bin sitting to the side, to which I said "No, where do we keep back stock?  I don't want to take these, the Treatment Room needs a new roll."  When he shrugged, then said "That may be it" the full weight hit me; an animal shelter with (at that time) over 40 dogs might just have run out of paper towels -- are you kidding me?

So I've started my modest 'Stock the Shelter' program for my building to gather these much needed items for the Holidays.  Obviously I've just started and we haven't reached any of the goals yet.  But each day I come home, I find something at my door.  One neighbor family, who adopted their pup Buddy from a shelter, have consistently given me supplies to bring in almost every day I've been there.  Towels, peroxide, a dustpan, trash bags, toys, food, leashes, collars, and yesterday two happy yellow brooms were waiting for me -- I think of them as Buddy's brooms.

Nearly every day Buddy's Dad emails to make sure I got the items, to check how the list is coming along, and promise he'll bring more tomorrow.  Nearly every day I feel like a secret admirer has left a Hallmark card on my doormat and I get to feel less alone, more supported, and know it's going to get brighter.  I also remember why I'm doing this, not just because I love dogs, but because I want them to live lives like Buddy has.

Living near the 'Hallmarks' of this world, and getting to work with women who persevere as you all do, is an amazing way to live a life.  That we face some horrific and heartbreaking things is unfortunate, but accurate testimony to our own strength and perseverance.  I believe in each and every one of you.  We are doing what we can, we are giving what we have, and we are making a difference to every dog that is saved and that's what we have to focus on.

What we see, is dismal.  But what we forget to see because it's not in front of us every day is a shelter dog like Buddy is alive today, he is living every day to the fullest with two parents who love and adore him, neighbors who know his name and greet him before his mom and dad, and I remember that Buddy is still around because at one time, one week, and when his time was almost out, he got out of a shelter and got to live the life he was meant for.  We wont' save them all, but we will save as many as we can.  And those we save, will live long happy lives because of us.  

Keep your chins up and your hearts open -- they're counting on US.

No comments:

Post a Comment