Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Learning How to Help

Week two of my leave of absence, and week two of volunteering at a high-kill animal shelter in my city.  I've learned that marking on the wall calendar what time you've walked a dog isn't as helpful as noting the day.  A day can pass without a dog being walked, getting out of their kennel.  I've learned that a kennel and a cage are not that different.  I've learned that picking up a recently flea-dipped dog causes me eye and nose irritation, a burning rash on my skin.  Now I know why he was immobile in his kennel, moving hurt (Mackie).  I've learned that American Bulldog / Pit Bull Terrier mixes walk best with harnesses, they only pull against collars (Mason).  The shelter does not have enough harnesses for everyone.  I've learned that no one is currently donating collars or harnesses to the shelter and they have no budget for them.  The collars, leashes and harnesses in the box by the volunteer desk were acquired from pets that didn't need them anymore.  I've learned that the facility has two incinerators.  I've watched them load and unload.  I’ve learned the man who operates the incinerators is as kind to the dogs as anyone I’ve seen.  I've learned that some dogs believe they are being freed from their kennels when you take them for a walk.  They know when you turn the corner of the building, they start pulling the opposite direction; they do not want to go back in even if it means shelter, food, water, and medical care.  I've learned that dogs forgive you for putting them back in (Amos). 
I've learned that a Pit Bull with no hair left from having mange, with scars on his back and pieces missing from his ears, is the sweetest cuddler I've ever come across (Fostered!).  I’ve learned when a dog sleeps in the day at a shelter, with their back to the door is really showing signs of depression (Preston).  I've learned that all puppies are born with worms, and without medicine, they grow with worms growing inside them until the worms win (Jet).  I've learned that a dog-aggressive Rottweiler named Ronald that has lost a leg, will tolerate quite well Pit-Bull puppies that get out of the basket while you're cleaning their cage.  I've learned that a dog brought in with an imbedded collar, still wants to be petted even if you accidentally get close to his neck.  He will forgive you for your touch.  I've learned that all dogs do not like the same food, but they will eat it if that's what they have, even if it gives them diarrhea.  I've learned that dogs do not like 'eliminating' in their kennels if they can help it, if only they could get out of their kennels in time.  I've learned that an active shelter can spay / neuter up to 20 dogs and cats a day, only stopping for space to allow recovery, or to deal with accident / abuse victims.  I’ve learned the smell from a cautery knife is a good thing, it means they believe the animal is worth saving even if a limb is not.  I've learned that owners who bring their pets in for the vet services will abandon the pets if they are positive for heartworm without even finding out how much treatment costs.  I've learned that owners will surrender their dogs if they can't afford their medical needs, but those same owners have very nice SUV's (Grace).  I’ve learned that some pet parents surrender their dogs to the shelter to protect them from domestic violence, at the same address they call home (Duchess).  I’ve learned we have many, many dogs being fostered.  I’ve learned the name of 41 dogs at the shelter.
I’ve learned that when you ask where paper towels are, there really may not be any more.  I’ve learned that volunteers feel alone, overwhelmed and helpless.  But, they keep coming back and keep walking, bathing, caring for, and fostering dogs.  I’ve learned every pair of eyes I’ve looked into is happy to see me, the dogs, the cats, the volunteers, and especially the staff.  I’ve learned I can’t help them all, but I can help some…now it’s just determining how much and how fast.  I’ve only got a few months left.  (Great idea to link to the Volunteer Page on Facebook so the adoptable pets can be seen by more people: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=132931120072928&ref=ts) Please note, if any of the hyperlinks no longer work, the dogs have either been adopted, or euthanized.

No comments:

Post a Comment